May 1998 Newsletter
- Linda Boone (SC78 Staph 84-85)
(NOT Boone-Weiss) is now happily divorced and is the practice manager of the Animal
Wellness Center in Royal Palm Beach, FL, where she specializes in small
animals, does staff education and training, protocol design, and
ordering. She received her DVM from the U. of Georgia
- Maureen Rezendes (MA79) is a Psychologist with
Brigewater Goddard Park Medical Associates in Brockton, MA -- where she
specializes in psychotherapy with individuals, couples, and families.
Maureen also has a private practice in Cambridge, MA and teaches courses
in Harvard's evening program. She obtained her PhD in Psychology from
Harvard in 1993.
[ Back to Top ]
- Domenic Zamubto (MA81) graduated from Harvard
Medical School in 1989, completed a residency in Radiology and a
Fellowship in Interventional Radiology, and is now in private practice
with L&M Radiology - which serves Melrose-Wakefield and Lawrence
General Hospitals in Massachusetts. Domenic has been married (to Grace)
since April of 1990, and has two children - Samantha (4) and David (2).
- Craig Thulin (UT82) is currently teaching in
Chemistry/Biochemistry at Univ. of Utah in Provo. He received his PhD
in Biochemistry at the University of Washington and did a Post Doc at
Brigham Young. His wife Shauna and he have two children -- Sarah (5)
and Anna Maureen (3).
- Karen Till (CA82) received the J. Warren Nystrom
Dissertation Award in Geography (for the best presentation based on a
recent dissertation) at the annual meeting of the Association of
American Geographers. Her dissertation topic was "Place and the
Politics of Memory: A Geo-Ethnography of Museums and Memorials in
Berlin. Karen is presently an Assistant Professor of Geography at
- Diane Elizabeth Frank (MN84) obtained her PhD in
Biochemistry at the Univ. of Wisconsin - Madison and is currently
completing a Post Doc in Physiology & Biophysics at the University
of Washington. Her area of research is the mechanics of motor proteins
(muscle (myosin) cytoplasmic moters).
- Stacy R. Heuer (IN84) is a Senior Engineer with the
Mead Johnson Nutritional Group of Bristol-Myers Squibb in Evansville,
IN. She primarily evaluates and qualifies the packaging for infant
formulas and nutritional products.
- Maria Stella Marquez Ng (DE84) is Supervisor of
Circulation Management at Quill Corporation in Lincolnshire, IL. She is
responsible for managing and developing the circulation strategy for the
company's direct marketing and telemarketing efforts.
- Kevin S. Reuther (ND84) is an attorney with the
Legal Aid Society of Minneapolis - where he primarily works on enforcing
housing discrimination laws - improving housing choice and opportunities
for the poor and minorities. Kevin obtained his MA in Political Science
in 1990 from the Univ. of Wisconsin - Madison, and his JD from Harvard
Law School in 1996.
- Mandy Woodward (CO84) is pursuing her PhD in
Architecture at the University of Colorado - Denver (class of 2000).
She is also a self-employed designer and works with children to help
them realize ways they can positively impact their environments.
- Cyrus Bharucha (FL85) completed his PhD in Physics
at the University of Texas - Austin in 1997, at the time he had plans to
pursue PostDoc work.
- Missy Edwards (AK85) obtained her DVM at the
Veterinary school of Colorado State University, and is currently a
Senior Associate Veterinarian at the Southeast Alaska Veterinary Clinic
in Juneau. The practice has five vets who providing full-service
medical, surgical, and dental care in a general practicing setting of
small and exotic animals.
- Adam L. Hartman (IL85) is currently a Staff
Pediatrician with the US Navy at the Naval Hospital in Yokosuka, JAPAN.
He obtained his MD at Northwestern and did a Pediatrics Fellowship at
NIH in Bethesda, MD (where he worked under Major Mack Hinson - TN81),
before accepting his current assignment.
- Christina G. Minden (AR85) is Director of Pharmacy
Services at Health South Rehab Hospital, where she is responsible for
all clinical activities regarding drug therapy; distribution systems; QA
& performance improvement; drug product selection; formulae &
inventory control; education/in service for physicians, nurses, allied
health professionals, & patients. She obtained her pharmacy degree
from the University of Arkansas.
- Michael C. Vincent (CO85) is a self-employed
consultant who works primarily on environmental oil & gas projects -
primarily environmental reclamation. Michael had spent 6 years in
Alaska as a petroleum engineer, and another 2 years in Colorado
reclaiming historic mining sites until starting his business. He also
says, "I keep trying to turn my woodworking hobby into a sideline
business but can't find the time".
- Alyson Gabbard Wilson (WV85) obtained her PhD in
Statistics from Duke University and is currently a Statistician with
Cowboy Programming Resources in El Paso, TX. She is involved in
designing and conducting evaluations of Army air defense artillery
- Cindy Goldstein (VA86, Staph 90-91) obtained her MD
at the Univ. of Virginia in 1995 and is currently completing her
residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at David Grant Medical Center at
Travis Air Force Base in California. She is Captain in the USAF as
payment for medical school scholarships and works long hours delivering
babies, perform hysterectomies, and taking care of hospital patients.
- Terri A. Jones (MD86) is an Assistant County
Attorney in Carroll County, Maryland where she represents the Carroll
County Dept. of Social Services in Child in Need of Assistance cases
(child abuse and neglect), and in local government issues. Terri
completed her JD degree at the University of Vermont.
- Sam Richman (NM86) is a Research Fellow for BIPM in
Sevres Cedex, France - where he has a 2-year Post Doc performing an
experiment at the International Bureau of Weights and Measures. Sam
obtained his PhD in Physics University of Colorado at Boulder.
- Norman Ho (TX87) has been a Product Design Engineer
at Ford Motor Company since 1992. He is currently responsible for the
accelerator controls system in all Ford Explorer programs. Norman
obtained both his BS and MS in Mechanical Engineering at MIT.
- Paul M. Miller (WY87, Staph 88-91, 94-98) is now
living in Morgantown, WV while he commutes to his job as a Physics
Teacher at North Garrett High School in nearby Maryland. Also, Paul is
currently serving his 2nd year as the Director of the National Youth
Science Camp, and -- Paul is also completing his last year of a 3-year
rotation as NYSCAA President.
- Sheila Schmidt Stevens (IA87, Staph 89-90)
completed her PhD in Mechanical Engineering at Stanford this spring, and
is now employed as a senior research lens designer with Bausch &
Lomb Inc. in Stanford, CA.
- James W Armacost, Jr. (TN88) will complete his MS
in Biology at Mississippi State University in Starkville, MS this coming
- Gary A. Buffington (NM88) completed his MS in
Management Information Systems at Texas A & M University in 1996,
and is now employed as a consultant with Ernst & Young LLP in
- Kevin M. Casey (FL88) and his wife Linda live in
Orlando, FL, where he is a senior auditor with Ernst & Young LLP.
Kevin supervises and coordinates the audits of multi-national high-tech
- Krista L. Dobbins (ME88) completed her BS in
Geology at the U. of Southern Maine in 1993 and is now completing a BS
in Computer Assisted Design and Drafting at the New Hampshire Technical
Institute. Krista's brother Kirt Dobbins (ME92) is now
an Environmental Consultant after obtaining a Hydrogeology degree at the
New Hampshire Technical Institute.
- Sedric P Waguespack, III (MO88) obtained his BS in
Physics at Southwest Missouri State U. and is due to complete his second
degree next May from Southwest in Computer Information Systems.
- Patricia M Welch (PA88) finished her BA in Biology
from Oberlin College in 1992, went on to earn an MA in Social
Administration at the Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences of Case
Western Reserve in 1996, and is currently pursuing her PhD at Washington
University - St. Louis's School of Social Work with concentrations in
developmental disabilities; leadership; organizational management; and
international social work.
- Jennifer Lynn Collins (MD89) is employed in
telecommunications systems integration with Andersen Consulting in
Washington, DC. (Andersen is a management and technology consulting
- Suzanne Connolly (OH89) is a Project Manager with
Six Sigma GE Lighting - where she works to Improve processes using Six
Sigma methodology to reduce costs and decrease DPMO for lighting
- John Giroir (LA89, Staph 90-95) recently (12/21/97)
graduated from West Virginia State College in Charleston, and will be
continuing as a full time employee of the National Youth Science
Foundation - the parent organization of the NYSC. John has been working
part time for the NYSF, but will now fill the position of Director of
Development - responsible for managing the office and for doing
[ Back to Top ]
- Marc C. Burris (DE90) is a Computer Programmer/Analyst with CAI in
Wilmington, DE. He completed his BS in Computer Science at the
University of Delaware in 1994.
- Cecily Chen (MD90) completed her BS in Civil Engineering at The
Johns Hopkins University in 1994 and is now a Plan Reviewer with the St.
Louis County Dept. of Public Works, where she reviews structural plans
and issues building permits; she also works on enforcing building codes
and local ordinances.
- Heather Margaret Foster (OR90) is currently a Teaching Asst. / Grad
Asst. at the University of Washington while she pursues her PhD in
Chemistry. She already holds a BS in Chemistry from Harvey Mudd
College, and an MS in Chemistry from the University of Washington.
- Simon Solotko (OH90, Staph 91-93) completed his BA in Sociology from
the University of Chicago in 1994 and moved to Dallas, TX where he
completed his MS in Finance in 1996. He has recently accepted
employment (after he received his security clearance) with Raytheon
Corporation in Dallas.
- Chad Whitten (MS90) is Departmental Chair and Math Teacher at
Raymond High School in Hinds County, MS. He is also the Technology
Advisor, and does counseling. Chad obtained his BS in Math Education
from Mississippi State University and his MS in Math from Mississippi
- Amy Dahlberg (MA91) is an Editor for Cell Press, where she edits
manuscripts for the Cell journal; working with authors affiliated with
universities and research institutions throughout the world. She also
handles Cell's reprint business.
- Becky Frank (VT91) is a Research Associate with Dove Associates,
Inc. in San Francisco. Dove is a management & strategy consulting
company specializing in the food and beverage industry.
- Carrie Ham (IL91) is a Senior Engineer for Boeing in St. Louis where
she works as a material & process specialist on F/A - 18 Hornet.
Carrie obtained her BS in Aerospace Engineering from St. Louis
University and an MS degree in Engineering & Policy at Washington
University - St. Louis.
- Nolan S. Love (NH91) obtained his BS in Biomedical Engineering at
The Johns Hopkins University in 1995, and since 1997 has been serving as
a volunteer with the Peace Corps in Conraky, in Guinea, West Africa. He
will complete his assignment in October 1999.
- Josh Sheldon (PA91, Staph 96) is a graduate student at Stanford
majoring in Learning Design and Technology. Until recently, he has been
teaching physics, physical science, and computers (while also coaching
soccer and tennis) at Cape Cod Academy. Josh completed both a BS in
Physics and one in Math at Penn State in 1995.
- Chris Taylor (WV91, Staph 92-95) has served in several capacities
with Trilogy Corporation in Austin, Texas since 1995. Chris completed
his degrees in Computer Science / Psychology at Carnegie Mellon
- Rachael Burt Edgley (UT92) graduated with a BS in Chemical
Engineering from the University of Utah - and is currently between jobs.
- Kirt Dobbins (ME92), brother of Krista Dobbins (ME88), is now an Environmental
Consultant after obtaining a Hydrogeology degree at the New Hampshire
- Steve DuBois (RI92) completed BA's in Chemistry and Psychobiology at
Swarthmore College, and is currently in medical school at the University
of California - San Francisco.
- Kirby Lee (IN93, Staph 94,97) is employed as a Manufacturing Process
Engineer with Eli Lilly & Co. in Indianapolis, IN. Kirby is
responsible for the processes that produce injectible pharmaceutical
Table of Contents
Updated 7 June 1998 by
Copyright © 1998 NYSCAA and
Karen R Sabog.
All rights reserved.